Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Update on a mid-life lawyer.

For those of you who do not know, I recently completed my law degree and just finished taking the bar exam. I spent most of the last three years sleeping in my car while at law school and I can tell you every gas station in Lansing that has a clean restroom with a changing table and hot water. I closed down the library many weekends and only missed one of my childrens' school related events during law school. I was awarded Outstanding Adult Learner by the Thomas M. Cooley Law School. Currently, while waiting for bar results, I clerk for a local court and do research for two retired judges who serve as visiting judges in various jurisdictions. I was fortunate enough to be asked to draft a memo for the Ohio Supreme Court last April. I will be working with a former professor developing a Christian rights law and policy center.

My best accomplishment is my family and hopefully the law degree will keep the kids in clothes and food, the bank and student loan officers at bay and put a little money in the bank for an annual vacation. My children are my pride and joy and my bride is the love of my life. I could not have succeeded the last three years without their support and understanding.

People constantly ask what kind of law I want to practice. If any of you watched Forrest Gump, I am that feather that drifts about at the beginning and end of the movie. G-d is the wind, and he carries me and sustains me. I walk by faith and I can tell you from personal experience that their are miracles all around us, if we have eyes to see them, and G-d never closes a door without opening a window.

2 comments:

  1. "... I walk by faith and I can tell you from personal experience that their are miracles all around us, if we have eyes to see them ...".

    There are way too few people that understand that. The bulk of the populace just see the shiny, sparkly stuff that has no meaning. I glad you "get it".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being in the Flesh, I sometimes get off track. I have never stopped believing in miracles as I have experienced them personally. I know that everything will happen in his time not ours.

    ReplyDelete